The Libulan Queer Collective, an all-Southern queer writers bloc, now accepts contributions — poems, short stories, flash fiction/flash nonfiction, novel chapters, creative nonfiction, micro-essays, one-act stage plays, short screenplays, and excerpts from full-length stage plays/screenplays — to the second volume of the “Libulan Queer Anthology of the Southern Philippines” (formerly, the Libulan Binisaya Anthology of Queer Literature).
Named after a genderfluid deity of the moon in the precolonial Visayan cosmogony, the Libulan Queer Anthology seeks contributions from emerging and established writers born and/or based in (or those who trace their ethnic origins from) the Visayas and Mindanao, and at the same time, identify themselves as LGBTQIAPP+ — lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex, asexual, pansexual, polyamorous, and others in the gender spectrum.
Submissions which may be written in Binisaya/Cebuano, Chavacano, English, Hiligaynon, Meranaw, Surigaonon, Waray, and in other languages in the southern Philippines may be any of the following:
1. Poetry — 2 to 3 poems written for the page and/or for performance/spoken word;
2. Drama — 1 one-act stage play; or 1 short screenplay; or an excerpt from a full-length stage play or screenplay;
3. Creative nonfiction — 1 to 2 creative nonfiction, i.e. memoir, personal essay, travel narrative/place writing, literary journalism, lyric essay, portraiture, and other forms; or a suite of micro-essays or flash nonfiction;
4. Fiction — 1 to 2 short stories, i.e. speculative, sci-fi, climate fiction, horror/thriller, romance, realist, crime, young adult/new adult, and other genres; or 1 chapter from a novel (preferably the first chapter) with a synopsis; or a suite of flash fiction;
5. Critical essays, “short takes,” and monographs on queer literary works and queer writers from the southern Philippines (in MLA format);
6. Pedagogical notes in teaching Queer Literature from the South;
7. Visual artworks — comics, paintings, illustrations, graphic design, digital photography, and typography.
Literary works written in languages other than Binisaya and English must be accompanied with translation in Binisaya or English.
Send manuscripts and/or artworks as email attachments to email@example.com along with a cover letter indicating the author name, email address, mobile number, home address, and a short bionote in the email’s body.
Deadline of submissions is 15 June 2019, 11:59 pm. Inquiries may be directed to the email address above. Copies of the anthology’s first volume may also be ordered through the same email.
Contributors will receive a complimentary copy. The copyright of the works will remain with them.
The anthology editors are Libulan Queer Collective’s cofounders, essayist and poet Alton Melvar Dapanas of Cagayan de Oro City and fictionist and playwright R Joseph Dazo of Cebu City. An editorial advisory committee will be composed of Southern queer writers who will represent each language and gender.
The Libulan Queer Collective is the writers bloc behind literary journals “Payag Habagatan: New Writings from the South” and the forthcoming “Dan-ag Literary Journal of Central Visayas,” and the annual Young Writers Studio instalments in Cagayan de Oro and Cebu.
Image © Mubarak M Tahir of Imahen Fotografia featuring models Herbert Tabaosarez and Ariel Bueno