Issue 4: ‘Mental Disorders’ of the Bulawan Literary Journal of Northern Mindanao, a regional literary journal of new Northern Mindanaoan writings, is now available for pre-order.
This issue focuses on the complex experience of mental disorders. Here, writers from Northern Mindanao explore the thought processes and often vicious cycles of mental disorders, as well as the outward experience of dealing with the stigma that surrounds them. Sharing these perspectives is even more important, as even today society still treats mental disorders as something to be denied or hidden away and, therefore, those afflicted with them as problems or attention-seekers. The works in Bulawan, however, revolve around the idea that perhaps the very things that make up these “disorders” are the very things that, also, make us all human.
The Bulawan Literary Journal of Northern Mindanao is published by Bulawan Books, the official publication arm of writers collective Nagkahiusang Magsusulat sa Cagayan de Oro (NAGMAC). For updates on Bulawan’s release, as well as other NAGMAC activities, please visit: https://www.facebook.com/cdopoetrynight.
Lineup of Works:
The Kids Aren’t Alright, but were They Ever? A Critique on the Interconnectedness of Social Issues with Mental Disorders as Portrayed by Northern Mindanaoan Writers by Abigail C James
1. Box of Days by Anthony L Tan
2. Elegy: The Surfs against the Green-Bearded Rocks by Anthony L Tan
3. Narcissus in a Watch Store in Osaka by Anthony L Tan
4. Icarus Speaks by Lina Sagaral-Reyes
5. Broken Relapse by Aleia Marie Hernandez Anies
CREATIVE NONFICTION AND ESSAY
1. Battered Person Syndrome by Alton Melvar Dapanas
2. The fan by Arnie Q Mejia
3. Three Essays by Kei Valmoria Bughaw
4. Day 1 by Jamie delos Reyes
1. Si Manang Era ni Raymond A Ybañez
2. Paper Moon at iba pang dagli ni Jack Alvarez
3. Tining ni German V Gervacio
4. Manika ni Mubarak Tahir
1. Kon Monaog ang mga Anghel, Mag-motor ni R Joseph Dazo
Lina Sagaral Reyes on the Intersections of Creative Writing and Mental Illnesses, Author Interview with Alton Melvar Dapanas and Abigail C James
Topics: Bulawan Literary Journal of Northern Mindanao
, Contemporary Literatures from Northern Mindanao
, Literary Journal in Mindanao